Who doesn't love crepes? Most americans grew up eating pancakes, but I grew up on crepes. Crepes originally came from France, but Russians love crepes. We call them blini, we eat them with jam, sour cream, caviar, smoked salmon and anything else you can imagine. We stuff them with cheese, potatoes, rice, meat and chicken.
Crepes are very easy to make. Below is a perfect crepe recipe.
We will need:
- 2 Cups of all purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- 4 cups of milk
- 2 tsp of salt (if you are eating them with something sweet reduce amount of salt 1tsp)
- 2 tsp of sugar
- Mix all ingredients till they are silky and have no lumps
- Preheat pan and grease it with butter
- Spread about 2 oz of crepe mixture all around the pan
- *Note, first couple of crepes might not come out as great, because pan is not hot enough. You might want to add a little more milk if the batter is too thick or a little flour if its too thin
- Cook for 30 seconds on each side or till its golden brown
- Make sure you butter the edges so they won't become crisp
- From this recipe you will get about 12-15 extra thin delicious crepes
As I said, Crepes are great with anything you love. Here is an example of what Russians like to eat their crepes with. Also, there is step by step preparation of stuffed crepe.
Take a crepe that was only fried on one side
- Place stuffing. I have meat and rice that i used for pirozhki
- Fold corners and roll the crepe
- Pan fry on medium heat on sunflower oil, serve with sour cream